Re: [RFC] Target Layer Python Interface

On 05/02/16 16:47, Kieran Bingham wrote:

> On 05/02/16 16:38, Jeff Mahoney wrote:

>> 4584088b5dba75
>>>>

>> (and the respective branch is "gdb-target")

>>> Were you going to say something else here? ... looks like it got
>>> chopped!
>>

>>> Pulling the const's through is pretty neat, and that does make an
>>> effective way to implement the read overrides to a file!
>>

>>> By the way, I'd started to add thread support - but I'm on holiday
>>> now.
>>
>>> Adding an add_thread(pid,lwp,tid) method to the inferior allows
>>
>> Ok, I have code doing that too.  There's a big messy commit at the top
>> of my repo last night that I'm going to refactor but I got most of
>> this working.
>
> Fantastic, you've probably spent more time on it than me so I'll bet
> your version works before I'm back from holiday!
>
> I'll go have a quick look now. :D
>
> I felt a bit like we need a bit better encapsulation on the ptid_t
> object. Might need a small object to wrap it up for passing around
> instead of just throwing Tuples everywhere.

+    if (!result)
+      error("Callback failed.\n");
+
+    ret = python_string_to_host_string (result);
     do_cleanups(cleanup);
+    return ret;
 }

Watch out for the memory leak here ...
It's one of the annoyances of this layer. No way to free the pointers
when we pass them back up to the caller:

In my implementation of pid_to_str, I have a scratch buffer to copy the
string into and then free the object.

It's probably worth putting one scratch buffer in the layer to share
across all functions that need it. We should be can_async_p = 0 anyway I
think.

https://git.linaro.org/people/kieran.bingham/binutils-gdb.git/commitdiff/ecd824755584f5c3f2083f7d9ee4b5e25eb357f3

Ha - I say that - and then I see I didn't free the char array from
python_string_to_host_string (result); in my version! That'll have to be
a fixup later :)

--
Kieran

> --
> Kieran
>

>> -Jeff
>>
>>> def to_update_thread_list(self):
>>> gdb.write("LX.to_update_thread_list\n") inferior =
>>> gdb.selected_inferior() threads = inferior.threads() for task in