Re: Using C++ code inside gdb

On 09 Oct 2015 10:41, Pedro Alves wrote:
> On 10/09/2015 07:08 AM, Ashutosh wrote:
> > Regarding using C++, I just hit upon the following conversation on the
> > gdb-patches list:
> > https://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2015-02/msg00202.html
> >
> > where it seems that there's some work going on compiling gdb sources
> > with g++. Any idea if this support is available in some form already
> > in gdb 7.10 or when is it planned to be released?
>
> The status in the wiki page linked from that url is accurate.
>
> GDB nowadays builds and links in C++ when configured
> with --enable-build-with-cxx, though that still spews a ton of warnings.
> There's been constant incremental progress so we'll get there eventually.
>
> No release has been marked as the one where we'll switch to C++ as
> default language -- it'll get done when it's done; though the sooner
> the better.  :-)

even if the C++ frontend is used, and C++ is the default language, that doesn't
mean that all C++ functionality will be accepted.  there are a lot of design
patterns and C++ APIs that are generally bad, and gdb is meant to be portable.
so i'd expect there will be guidelines put together as to acceptable standards
base (C11/C14/etc...) as well as headers and interfaces that are permitted and
ones that are banned.

saying "it's C++ now!" is pretty vague ;).
-mike