Create symbols Dynamically

Hi,

Is there a way to load a symbol table from a text file? A number of jtag
type debuggers have this feature.

Specifically - I have a symbol table that a simple 2 column white space
separated text file (the output of "NM" is 3 column ascii text, you get
the idea) a simple one line awk script will covert the format if needed.

I want to load this into GDB as an extra symbol file.

These are various hardware defined peripheral addresses. Things like
uart base address, data registers, control registers - it would be very
helpful to be able to refer to them as needed in scripts. There are
thousands of them.

Effectively, if they all became the equivalent of "extern uint32_t
SYMBOLNAME[1];" that would be great

My last restore (YUCK!) is to create an ELF file, and use
'symbol-add-file'  yuck!

I also need to - within a gdb script - define my own symbols dynamically
at run time in the same way.

Thanks