This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: format string is not a string literal
- From: Andrew Pinski <pinskia at gmail dot com>
- To: Simon Marchi <simon dot marchi at polymtl dot ca>
- Cc: Jack Howarth <howarth dot mailing dot lists at gmail dot com>, "Paul_Koning at dell dot com" <Paul_Koning at dell dot com>, "gdb at sourceware dot org" <gdb at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 18:35:22 -0800
- Subject: Re: format string is not a string literal
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CADtEn-1ZT1uznxPzQxr_nBQya1AVrNLyE+ZSDmm2x_ux8qyzUQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <0AB56024-875B-4724-8ED2-A9DDB237CBFF at dell dot com> <CADtEn-0txdtq6x6dAZZ5wew-VOvYU28fueT_kJ2cx7=H0=vdPg at mail dot gmail dot com> <23CC7871-C616-436C-920C-4A635DC87189 at dell dot com> <CAFXXi0=56gNf2GoSKkrx=bRArhjk+AhSbiu0crpdR3=df7B2BQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <7A311B56-C424-4C4F-A0E4-B12B65131745 at gmail dot com> <CADtEn-1vHnay=ftK9Hq6ogYyDNPc_anNgLnwuUZSt4VjzF+7GQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <225BDA7A-3A1F-4F94-8086-E44249E273D5 at gmail dot com> <CAFXXi0kTXpo++fHcTkWHbAT9sH_pG5ZtgeFf-2RQqZZigzdmdw at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 6:30 PM, Simon Marchi <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>>> On Feb 25, 2015, at 4:41 PM, Jack Howarth <email@example.com> wrote:
>>> See the additional comments from the llvm.org clang developers at...
>> Then put this warning under a different flag. Anyways clang is broken and gdb should not change due to a broken compiler.
> I would not say that clang is broken or that the warning is unclear.
> The flag is -Wformat-nonliteral and the warning message is "format
> string is not a string literal". I don't know how you can be more
> clear and direct about the fact that the format string is not a string
> literal. Looking at the code, we observe that clang is right (the
> format string is indeed not a string literal). With the proper
> function attributes, the compiler could do better checks and prevent
> programming mistakes. Since clang pointed out this low-hanging fruit
> improvement to gdb's code, why shouldn't we take advantage of it?
> Anyway, Jack, you are welcome to submit a patch for this if you feel
> like it and/or file a bug if it is not already done.
Except GCC documents this options differently than clang implements:
-Wformat-nonliteralIf -Wformat is specified, also warn if the format
string is not a string literal and so cannot be checked, unless the
format function takes its format arguments as a va_list.
Notice the last part of the documentation.
So this again is clang implements a GCC option but does not follow the
documentation of GCC.
How does clang document this option?