Re: Doubt using "set" command with registers

Hello Pete,

I didn't use ekgdboe (I'm using a serial connection between the target and the host). The only option I used to debug during boot was the "kgdbwait" option (in the GRUB configuration file), to hang the target at boot, and wait for a "cont" command from the host. I removed this option some weeks ago though, because I do no want to do debug during boot. But I remember it worked.

Regarding the original thread's subject, do you know anything on why some register values can be changed while others can't?

Regards,
JoÃo

Citando Pete Delaney <pdelaney@silver-peak.com>:

Had any luck using KGDB during the early boot code?

I haven't been able to get the ekgdboe working with the keyboard via a serial interface, thought it does start early enough. Can't get ekgdboe working with tty0/ttyS0; starts way to late to debug a boot problem I'm looking at.

This use to be trivial with the old SunOS 4.1.4 kgdb patch, and I think the pre-KDB version of KGDB seemed To do early boot code ok. With old 2 page SunOS 4.1.4 patch switching between task was just a matter of Getting the SP and PC from the proc structure, changing $PS and $PC in gdb and restarting GDB so it would
Reload it's cache.

JTAG based debugging shouldn't be necessary to debug early boot code
And JTAG isn't readily available for large PCs.

-piet

--
Pete/Piet Delaney
O: +1 408 935-1813