Re: Define python hooks

The documentation states that "It is valid for a hook to call the
command which it hooks. If this occurs, the hook is not re-executed,
thereby avoiding infinite recursion."
But this does not seems to be true for the python API.

Here what I tried:
1) Defining the hook as a python function that would gdb.execute the
same command. Failed, because then the command is executed twice.
Additionally, I did not find how to access the arguments of the
command.
2) Overload the existing command with a python class binded on the
same command name. Failed because of infinite recursion.
3) Use a named pipe to communicate. Failed (sort of) because one
should sleep a variable amount of time waiting for the pipe to be
consumed before returning to the prompt.

Should I fill a feature request/bug report for points 1 and/or 2?

--
nojhan

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 12:22 AM, Doug Evans <xdje42@gmail.com> wrote:
> gdb.execute (command, to_string=True) will return the output as a python string.
>
> As for what's the best way to go, I'm not sure.
>
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 2:17 AM, nojhan <nojhan@nojhan.net> wrote:
>> Thanks.
>> I would want to manipulate the output of several existing commands with python.
>>
>> Is there a way to get the output of the command in python (something
>> like a gdb.execute that would return the output)?
>> Or should I use a redirection to a named pipe to communicate with gdb?
>> Or maybe it would be a better option to overload existing commands
>> with a python class that would execute them?
>>
>> --
>> nojhan

>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> While one can't directly define hooks in python, one can still invoke
>>> python from hooks.
>>>
>>> E.g.
>>>
>>> define hookpost-step
>>> python