Re: VAX Ultrix? (Re: GDB dropping support for mips-irix and alpha-tru64)

On 10/13/2014 02:57 PM, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2014, Joel Brobecker wrote:
>
>> Wikipedia says that VAX production ceased in 2005. The last VAX-specific
>> patch I can see being submitted to gdb-patches is us mentioning support
>> for VAX floats in the Ada mode (which we removed in 2010). VAX VMS was
>> removed in 2010 from BFD. There seems to be some regular activity around
>> VAX on the GCC side, though, but Ultrix itself seems to be no longer be
>> supported.
>
>  Oh, I have some VAX/Linux stuff waiting too; although whether it makes
> sense to submit or not will depend on what happens to support for that
> platform in the Linux kernel and glibc.  I've got a port mostly working,
> but both the kernel and glibc are rather ancient and glibc can't proceed
> without defining a TLS ABI.  I have no interest in Ultrix itself though.

OK, thanks.

TBC, I'm looking at this from the "DEC replaced Ultrix with OSF/1"
angle, not really paying attention to VAX vs Alpha.

I'm more interested in getting rid of old operating systems
than old architectures, in the sense that those could potentially
hold back newer tool/compiler requirements.  Modern tools running on
VAX is fine with me.

Thanks,
Pedro Alves