Re: ChangeLogs in commit messages

Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Sergio Durigan Junior <sergiodj@redhat.com> writes:
> > Siva Chandra kindly pointed to me that gitweb manages to figure
> > out the actual push date.  So I did a little more research on
> > git-log's manpage, and saw that there is a "--pretty=fuller"
> > option which shows the push date.
>
> There is no such thing as a "push date".  What you see is the author
> date and the committer date.  But both are set during the local
> commit, and are unrelated to the point of time of pushing the
> commits to the remote repository.

Yeah, in git no file (object) is modified when you push or pull
commits, they're just copied from one place to another.

The committer date on the commit you mentioned is likely the time
I updated the ChangeLog prior to pushing, so that date will be the
"push date", but that's not guaranteed to be the case for all
commits.

Cheers,
Gary

--