This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: ChangeLogs in commit messages
- From: Gary Benson <gbenson at redhat dot com>
- To: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- Cc: Doug Evans <xdje42 at gmail dot com>, Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo dot org>, gdb at sourceware dot org, Andreas Arnez <arnez at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com>
- Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 13:19:49 +0100
- Subject: Re: ChangeLogs in commit messages
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20140815084819 dot GB30130 at blade dot nx> <20140815121102 dot GB6019 at adacore dot com> <20140815130913 dot GA1954 at blade dot nx> <20140815132816 dot GC6019 at adacore dot com> <20140815150202 dot GA5674 at blade dot nx> <20140815160829 dot GF6019 at adacore dot com> <20140818083110 dot GA18549 at blade dot nx> <CAP9bCMSr4kd=cn0xvtk8vyR3kG6RNRfb1uuAbLvEkLkX4r=zGw at mail dot gmail dot com> <20140818150510 dot GB4828 at adacore dot com> <20140818152724 dot GA26439 at blade dot nx>
Gary Benson wrote:
> Joel Brobecker wrote:
> > > > I'm happy with this. Do you want the "ChangeLog" in the path?
> > >
> > > Me too.
> > >
> > > As for ChangeLog in the path,
> > > Do you mean prepending entries with "gdb/ChangeLog" or
> > > "testsuite/ChangeLog" instead of just "gdb/" or "testsuite/" ?
> > > If so, I would say skip "ChangeLog", keep just, e.g., "testsuite/".
> > > That's the existing convention.
> > FWIW, I think that the extra "ChangeLog" bring 2 benefits:
> > - it makes it clear we're starting a ChangeLog entry:
> > - it reduces the chances of a false-positive when parsing
> > the revision log for one or more CL entries. I found this out
> > while developing a parser that I use in the context of
> > the gdb release.
> > Small bonus: When you modify the root ChangeLog file, the entry
> > ends up looking like this...
> > | ChangeLog:
> > |
> > | * file: description.
> I'm happy with this. I'll wait a day or so in case somebody objects,
> and if not I'll update the wiki.
I have updated the wiki: