This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: integrating dtc into the sim/ tree
- From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- To: Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo dot org>
- Cc: gdb at sourceware dot org, Joel Sherrill <joel dot sherrill at oarcorp dot com>, Anthony Green <green at moxielogic dot com>
- Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:53:47 +0200
- Subject: Re: integrating dtc into the sim/ tree
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <53F27ADC dot 4070609 at oarcorp dot com> <2237241 dot 5jc4xaopjm at vapier> <20140819062557 dot GE4828 at adacore dot com> <1732783 dot 0nBxt22mln at vapier>
> so after talking to myself, i guess the issue isn't so much with using
> the system copy of dtc as it is with making it a hard requirement
> (which is different from how the other packages use 3rd party libs --
> they're all optional). might be able to reduce the requirement so
> only the hw layers hard depend on it, but i'm not sure if even that is
OK. Is that dependency on dtc something new? Or was it there already
for certain sims and not others?
Dependency requirements like these should be discussed on a
case-per-case basis, I think. And the answers to the questions
you ask above (can it be made optional, what functionality gets
lost, etc) definitely influence the decision.