This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: ChangeLogs in commit messages
- From: Gary Benson <gbenson at redhat dot com>
- To: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- Cc: Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo dot org>, gdb at sourceware dot org, Andreas Arnez <arnez at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com>
- Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 09:31:11 +0100
- Subject: Re: ChangeLogs in commit messages
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20140814083231 dot GA6283 at blade dot nx> <6036430 dot RnprRWgZmF at vapier> <20140814131206 dot GA12746 at blade dot nx> <20140814132939 dot GH4924 at adacore dot com> <20140815084819 dot GB30130 at blade dot nx> <20140815121102 dot GB6019 at adacore dot com> <20140815130913 dot GA1954 at blade dot nx> <20140815132816 dot GC6019 at adacore dot com> <20140815150202 dot GA5674 at blade dot nx> <20140815160829 dot GF6019 at adacore dot com>
Joel Brobecker wrote:
> I would like to push again for the format without the date and
> author email but the simpler gdb/ChangeLog: instead. The commit
> already stores that information (author name and email, committer
> date), whereas requiring the user to provide it in the rev log
> means that the date needs to be maintained throughout the
> lifetime of the patch until that patch gets pushed. Same thing
> when cherry-picking a patch from master to a release branch.
I'm happy with this. Do you want the "ChangeLog" in the path?