This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: ChangeLogs in commit messages
- From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- To: Andreas Schwab <schwab at suse dot de>
- Cc: Gary Benson <gbenson at redhat dot com>, Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo dot org>, gdb at sourceware dot org, Andreas Arnez <arnez at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com>
- Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 06:48:07 -0700
- Subject: Re: ChangeLogs in commit messages
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20140814083231 dot GA6283 at blade dot nx> <6036430 dot RnprRWgZmF at vapier> <20140814131206 dot GA12746 at blade dot nx> <20140814132939 dot GH4924 at adacore dot com> <mvmha1f2nse dot fsf at hawking dot suse dot de>
> > No, I strongly object to #5. The ChangeLog entries are part of
> > the email to be sent along with the patch to be reviewed, We had
> > that discussion many many years ago, and at the time, people
> > wanted the CL entry in the email, rather than as a diff.
> How does this have anything to do with the commit message?
The email can be sent nearly verbatim using "git send-email".
This is an objective that can be achieved with zero extra work
if you consider the other reasons I gave why I think the CL entry
should be in the revision log.