This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: ChangeLogs in commit messages
- From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- To: Gary Benson <gbenson at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo dot org>, gdb at sourceware dot org, Andreas Arnez <arnez at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com>
- Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 06:29:39 -0700
- Subject: Re: ChangeLogs in commit messages
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20140814083231 dot GA6283 at blade dot nx> <6036430 dot RnprRWgZmF at vapier> <20140814131206 dot GA12746 at blade dot nx>
> Do you mean #4 (changelog entries with no path/author-date) or are you
> proposing new option #5 (no changelog in the commit message at all)?
> #5 would suit me too.
No, I strongly object to #5. The ChangeLog entries are part of
the email to be sent along with the patch to be reviewed, We had
that discussion many many years ago, and at the time, people
wanted the CL entry in the email, rather than as a diff.
Also, having the CL entry as a diff means maintaining that diff
over time, which is guaranteed to be a source of conflicts.
I know there are tools out there to deal with this specific source
of conflict, but I don't think we should require everyone to set
And finally, I find the CL entry to be useful to have when I review