Re: ChangeLogs in commit messages

> Do you mean #4 (changelog entries with no path/author-date) or are you
> proposing new option #5 (no changelog in the commit message at all)?
> #5 would suit me too.

No, I strongly object to #5. The ChangeLog entries are part of
the email to be sent along with the patch to be reviewed, We had
that discussion many many years ago, and at the time, people
wanted the CL entry in the email, rather than as a diff.

Also, having the CL entry as a diff means maintaining that diff
over time, which is guaranteed to be a source of conflicts.
I know there are tools out there to deal with this specific source
of conflict, but I don't think we should require everyone to set
that up.

And finally, I find the CL entry to be useful to have when I review
revision logs.

--
Joel