This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
gdb symbol lookup very slow
- From: Antonio Cavallo <a dot cavallo at cavallinux dot eu>
- To: gdb at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 08:59:02 +0100
- Subject: gdb symbol lookup very slow
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
I'm having hard time debugging a (very large) C++ library under gdb (gdb
7.7.1, gcc 4.8, binutils 2.22).
The main issue is the time it takes to reach a breakpoint: gdb takes an
insane amount of time (order of 2mins) vs vs2012 (a couple of seconds).
I've profiled gdb and the top functions called during the debugging are
(more than 90% is spent in these):
I suspect gdb doesn't cache the symbols: is there any way to speedup
this lookup? Is there any other explanation for why gdb is so much
slower than visual studio?
I've repeated the run with lldb (from svn), and it is at least two times
faster than gdb.
Any suggestion where to look for?