Re: Vendor branches on sourceware.org's binutils-gdb repo

Hi,

On Sun, 6 Apr 2014, Joel Brobecker wrote:

> > I think it's very useful for users to have all vendor branches in a
> > single repository. At least with glibc this has helped me a lot (as a
> > user) when identifying and cherry-picking needed fixes to my own
> > systems.
>
> FWIW: I have found that the extra branches are just making me download
> lots of commits that I have no use for, and I suspect that this is the
> case for many of us. That's the default behavior, and most users will be
> impacted by those. While it's convenient, it is also very easy to pull a
> branch from another repository.

But it's not necessarily easy for the vendor to _host_ that other
repository.  And IMHO, the current 288 MB for binutils-gdb git objects
aren't enough to discourage vendor branches (and if you're worried about
the download size it's equally easy to simply not pull those branches).

Ciao,
Michael.