Re: Bugzilla spring cleaning

On 02/27/2014 06:11 PM, Doug Evans wrote:
> Hi.
>
> There's a few cleanups I've wanted to see happen on our Bugzilla site.
>
> The ones that are currently on my mind are these:
>
> 1) Remove old entries from the "Versions" list.
>
> Do we really need 3.x and 4.x here?
> Personally, I can see deleting 5.x too, and replacing all of them with
> a "catch-all" field for old releases.
> [I can also see deleting 6.x, but "baby steps" ...]

What's the actual problem this is trying to solve?

> I can imagine their appearance in some old bug making it
> hard/impossible to accomplish this, but I won't know unless I ask.

If there are bugs filed against those versions, then I don't
see the point in removing them.  My first reaction would be to
object.  I see no upside in simply dropping history of old GDBs.

But I don't really know what is the oldest GDB that does have
bugs filed against.  If indeed there's no bug filed for
those old versions, then I'll definitely agree with removing them.

Closing bugs filed against old releases that have had no
input for quite a long time would be a different discussion.
But it's not clear to me whether that's what you're proposing.

> 1b) IWBN to reverse-sort the Versions list.

I agree this is one would indeed be very nice.  It's quite
likely we have bugs erroneously reported against old versions
simply because of this issue.  Bugs converted from the old
gnats (which I believe is the majority of filed bugs) fortunately
have the "Release" field in the description text, so we
could fix any in that situation.  Furthermore, it seems to me
that doing this pretty much would make the issue of eliminating
old versions practically moot?

> 2) The "Target Milestone" list could also use some trimming.

Offhand, same as above.

--
Pedro Alves