Re: core file obfuscation

On Dec 3, 2013, at 4:16 AM, vijay nag <vijunag@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello GDB,
>
> I have a requirement to obfuscate parts of core dump file containing
> certain variables.
>
> The exact requirement here is to mask off/encrypt certain sensitive
> information such as passwords, lawfully intercepted data, etc stored
> in global data structure of the task since customers intend not to
> disclose or retrieve any sensitive information during post-mortem
> analysis of core file.
>
> Is there any standard way of doing this or are there any libraries
> which suits my requirement ?

I think you're looking in the wrong place.  GDB analyzes core dumps, it doesn't (usually) create them.  You need to create your core file with sensitive data blanked out.  That will/may require work in the core file writing machinery of your OS.

Possibly the application itself could help with this, by catching the signal for the fault that created the core file.

	paul