Re: suggestion: the title of mails in the cvs mailllist should show the changed location instead a hash value

> Hi, after the git migration, I see that the email title changed in the cvs maillist like:
>
> gdb and binutils branch master updated. 5c2955e2ec5ca2e80098763d6fdda317dc4b2f39
> gdb and binutils branch master updated. 7283b932234f3501eb19c1750d79c20fc339f32a
>

> Compared to the original name before git migration:
> src/gdb ChangeLog infrun.c testsuite/ChangeLog ...
> src/gdb ChangeLog c-varobj.c
>

> I think the old style email title is still better than the current one, it at least showed some changed files/locations, so a reader(like me, I use the news://www.gmane.org:119/gmane.comp.gdb.cvs to receive the updated emails) can briefly see where the commit modifies by reading the title. With the current name scheme, you know nothing about this.
>
> Any ideas?

True, but eventually, I think an even better approach is to have one
email per commit, with the commit's subject as the email subject.
It's something I have implemented at AdaCore for our internal git
repositories, and works pretty well. I'd be happy to help improve
the hooks, but it'll have to be sometime next year.

In the meantime, I think I see in the script where we could change
the subject to add the list of files being changed. It should be
fairly easy to do so, but we'd need to agree on the new format.
For instance:

    '[' project ['/' branch] ']' updated-files

Eg:

    [gdb] gdb/infrun.c gdb/ChangeLog  <-- update of the master branch

    [gdb/gdb-7.7] gdb/NEWS gdb/ChangeLog  <-- update of the gdb-7.7 branch

For pure binutils changes, you'd get the same, but replacing "gdb"
by "binutils".

And for changes spanning both projects, you'd get:

    [gdb+binutils] bfd/configure.host bfd/ChangeLog gdb/ChangeLog
    [gdb+binutils/gdb-7.7] bfd/configure.host bfd/ChangeLog gdb/ChangeLog

--
Joel