Re: Reading memory from inferior at given pointer

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:26:54PM -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:

> >> Which allows me to read the long and double values just fine. But my
> >> hurdle is reading the char *. Which no matter which function I try
> >> always results in a bad address from which I can't read the correct
> >> string. I tried different functions mentioned in 9.3 of "GDB Internal"
> >> and also looked around in different language implementations. But I am
> >> clearly doing something wrong here.
>
> >> Which would be the correct way to read from this memory area from the
> >> inferior process? Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Are you trying to see the value of the pointer, or the pointed-to
> characters?
>
> To get the pointer I would use the various "value" APIs (see
> gdb/value.h) to extract the field from the value returned by
> call_function_by_hand.
>
> For the characters, you can use read_string.
>
> Tom

Thanks for taking the time to answer. My aim was to use
the actual string found at the given address in the target.

I know implemented it like this, which works fine so far:
target_read_string((CORE_ADDR)(data->data.s), &read, data->data_len, &errnop);

But I am not to sure about the cast to CORE_ADDR. Is there a prefered
way to get the CORE_ADDR so it e.g. doesn't break on different
architectures.

Lennart