Re: RFC: free pending blocks

>>>>> "John" == John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com> writes:

John> Would it perhaps be better to just allocate these pending blocks
John> on their own obstack, so they can all be freed at once without doing
John> a lot of pointer walking?

John> (Or, deallocate them as they are walked to make the blockvector, to
John> improve cache locality, rather than in a separate pointer chain walk.)

I tend to doubt it matters much, but I'll do it anyhow.

John> I don't know how many such blocks are likely to exist in typical
John> programs, but I suspect there could be thousands.

You have to force symtab expansion to see them.
If I run 'gdb -readnow gdb', 44083 are created.
This is very artificial, though, since in normal debug sessions many
fewer symtabs are expanded.

I didn't try to measure the maximum depth of the stack.

Tom