Re: how to print a function's return value

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 8:10 AM, Tom Frank <gdbhelper@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> in source code , there is a fuction call like this :  int a = func(param);
>
> then I debug it with gdb , whein it stop at this line,I want to print
> the func's retvalue, which results  in a gdb sigtrap,and
>
> cause gdb to go into a trap,  then I can not find where am I .
>
> I konw there is a command to prevent gdb going to trap  like  this,
> what is  that command?

Hi.
Your question is a bit confusing.
If I were to set the sigtrap aside, there are two ways to print func's
return value.

(gdb) print func(param)

IOW call func from gdb.  Depending on what func does this may or may
not be reasonable.

The second way is to either set a breakpoint on func or step into into
and then step out of it like this:

(gdb) step   # step into func
(gdb) finish   # run until func returns, gdb will print its return value

Now, as for sigtrap, I think in order to provide an accurate answer I
need more details.  An example session log for example.