Re: Will C++ proponents spend 20 minutes to try what they're proposing?

John> Has any of the proponents even *tried* to compile and run today's GDB
John> using a C++ compiler, to see what C constructs that it currently uses
John> will be rejected by the C++ compiler?

Yeah.  Also with -Wc++-compat.

John> Recompiling the C code in C++ is the approach you're proposing to
John> take, right?  Or do you propose that we compile some source files with
John> a C compiler and others with a C++ compiler?

No, please see the plan that I posted upthread.  It lays out exactly
what we propose.

http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2012-04/msg00044.html

Search for "concrete transition proposal".

John> When I configure gdb-7.4 with C++ and make it, it fails pretty early
John> here in libiberty:

We'd only convert gdb, not libiberty, bfd, etc.

John> PS:  When did g++ start outputting non-ascii (Unicode) backquotes
John> and forward-quotes in its error messages?  That's truly ugly.  Look
John> at the compiler output in Emacs, for example.

There's some long threads about this all over GNUdom.
I can't remember when, it seems like a long time ago now.

Tom