Re: Problem writing python tests without installing

Robert Lupton the Good <rhl@astro.princeton.edu> writes:

> When running the testsuite, the python files that are sourced are apparently e.g.
> 	gdb/testsuite/../data-directory/python/gdb/printing.py
> rather than
> 	gdb/python/lib/gdb/printing.py
> although the binary is as expected gdb/gdb

Right, but you don't have to do 'make install' to get data-directory.

> The files appear to be installed by "make install".  This is another
> manifestation of the problem that you cannot apparently work on the
> gdb python code without first installing it (away from it's cvs home
> -- but that can be faked with a link...)

I work with Python every day and I don't have this issue.  The files are
correctly sourced from ../data-dictionary.

I could not find the gdb.printing test in my output, but this works fine:

python
>Sending "import gdb.command.prompt" to gdb
Looking to match ""[\r\n]*()[\r\n]+(\(gdb\) | *>)$""
Message is "prompt substitution readline - import gdb.command.prompt"
board_info host exists name

FWIW GDB is spawned in the test as:

Spawning /home/pmuldoon/bugs/setex/obj/gdb/testsuite/../../gdb/gdb -nw -nx -data-directory /home/pmuldoon/bugs/setex/obj/gdb/testsuite/../data-directory

> Is there a proper way to work around this?

There's not enough information on your install/setup to diagnose the
issue. How did you configure the build?

Cheers

Phil