This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: RFC: DWARF Extensions for Separate Debug Info Files ("Fission")
- From: Jan Kratochvil <jan dot kratochvil at redhat dot com>
- To: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at google dot com>
- Cc: dwarf-discuss at lists dot dwarfstd dot org, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, gdb at sourceware dot org, Doug Evans <dje at google dot com>, Paul Pluzhnikov <ppluzhnikov at google dot com>, Sterling Augustine <saugustine at google dot com>
- Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 15:51:09 +0200
- Subject: Re: RFC: DWARF Extensions for Separate Debug Info Files ("Fission")
- References: <CAHACq4o43uGDEEKQRiYgnWWXSnDzRD1Z_-4z2HQ=bSaTpgyrjQ@mail.gmail.com>
On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 02:21:44 +0200, Cary Coutant wrote:
> * .debug_pubtypes - Public types for use in building the
> .gdb_index section at link time. This section will have an
> extended format to allow it to represent both types in the
> .debug_dwo_info section and type units in .debug_types.
= .dwo_info , maybe both .debug_info and .dwo_info
> * .dwo_abbrev - Defines the abbreviation codes used by the
> .debug_dwo_info section.
I find this .dwo_* setup is great for rapid development rebuilds but it should
remain optional as the currently used DWARF final separate .debug info file is
smaller than all the .dwo files together. In the case of the final linked
.debug builds (rpm/deb/...) one does not consider the build speed as important.
It probably does not make sense to merge + convert .dwo files back to a single
.debug file for the rpm/deb/... build performance reasons.