Re: how to test arm-tdep.c (with cross compiled gdbserver) using gdbserver ?

On 07/25/2011 11:56 AM, paawan oza wrote:
> I have done following, and with that should be able to test arm-reversible
> stuffs with gdbserver.
>
>> > ./configure --target=arm-linux     <which will compile gdb for x86 takes arm
>> >dependent code into build>
>> > make
>> > cd gdb
>> > cd gdbserver
>> > ./configure --host=arm-none-linux-gnueabi --target=arm-none-linux-gnueabi
> <above will preparegbserver for target, whihc could be later copied to arm
> board>

That looks right to me.  You have to build a gdb for arm, as you did
above, and then cross-compile gdbserver for arm-linux.

> there are other targets such as arm-eabi, arm-elf.
> but I am using arm-linux, hope thats ok and it works.

IMO, it works, since your reverse code on arm shares among these arm-*
targets.  Testing your code on arm-linux should cover other arm-* targets.

However, there may be some corner cases, such as svc instruction, that
may behave a little different on bare-mental targets (arm-eabi, arm-elf)
and linux targets (arm-linux).  I am not familiar with reverse
debugging, so I don't know how much affect of this difference to reverse
debugging.  (I might be wrong, of course.)

--
Yao (éå)