Inspecting environment variables from a core dump?

Hello,

After searching the GDB documentation, mailing list and bug database I
have not found an answer to my question, so as a last resort I post it
here.

Does a core dump contain the environment of the program that dumped core?
If so, how can I inspect the environment variables?  "show environment"
shows the environment that GDB is running in, not the environment of the
debuggee.

(context: I am analyzing a core dump that was produced on another machine
and I supect the bug was caused by a bad environment variable).

Thanks for any help.

--
Ludovic Brenta.