Re: Breakpoints and multi-process using the same binary

On Monday 11 April 2011 15:52:45, Marc Khouzam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the next release of Eclipse CDT will make use of GDB's great
> multi-process (multi-exec) support.  Nice work!
>
> Quick question about breakpoints in that case (with non-stop).
> I'm trying to set a breakpoint in a process that has one
> thread stopped.  The problem is that there is another
> process fully running, which uses the same binary
> (parent/child of a fork()).
>
> From what I can see, I cannot set such a breakpoint without
> interrupting a thread for each and every process sharing the
> binary.
>
> I just wanted to confirm that this was the right behavior
> for GDB.

Yeah, it's a current limitation.  I've looked at this a
bit after Tom reporting some other multi-process breakage, and
it  didn't look like a quick fix.  You may not need that
against linux gdbserver since it allows reading/writing
memory even when threads are running, while native linux gdb
doesn't.  We're likely to get to fix all of this for
proper ptsets/itsets support (which we'll be starting
on real soon).

--
Pedro Alves