Re: Multiple remote inferiors

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Pedro Alves <pedro@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 April 2011 16:02:15, Kevin Pouget wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> it looks like it's not possible to connect to several
>> remote/extended-remote inferiors at the same time:
>>
>> (gdb) target remote :1234
>> (gdb) add-inferior
>> Added inferior 2
>> (gdb) inferior 2
>> [Switching to inferior 2 [process 0] (<noexec>)]
>> (gdb) target remote :1235
>> A program is being debugged already. ?Kill it? (y or n)
>>
>> and I was wondering what was the reason?
>
> GDB support multiple processes, but they currently
> all need to be behind the same target.
>
> For remote targets, only extended-remote allows that.
> E.g., adding a new inferior with add-inferior, switching
> to it, and doing "start", should work.

yes, sure, I wanted to use only the "remote" target stack to connect
GDB to 2 different inferiors

"start" seems not to be used with the remote/extended remote ("No
symbol table loaded.  Use the "file" command.") target,

(gdb) target [extended-]remote <location>

is, AFAIK, the only way to initiate such a connection

>> it should theoretically be possible,
>
> This is just software, so in theory, anything
> is possible. ?:-)

:)
I meant, "easily feasible with the current GDB implementation!"

> It goes further beyond that. ?There's only one target_ops stack.
> Going multi-target would be awesome.

yep, sure ! but that's why my initial question only targeted the
remote target stack, and (although I'm not sure that's mandatory) the
same target architecture

Kevin