Re: [Discussion/Prec] The record speed up plan (Make speed like without prec)

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 12:04, paawan oza <paawan1982@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some understanding about followingwhat you wrote in previous mail.
>
> "But this way have a 2 question.
> 1. ÂHow to record all the status of a inferiorï For the linux,
> checkpoint already use fork to record the
> inferior. ÂSo prec will use
> it too.
> And when we want get the old
> status of inferior step by step, we can
> let the forked process step
> by step. ÂThat will easy by parse the insn
> and know what will happen."
>
> I have some queries.
>
> 1) when the process is attached to gdb, and user starts debugging, at what moment we do fork?

After "record".

> 2) so you mean to say, forked process will freely run, and still we continue to record parent step by step ?
> in above case if we want to play reverse, we still need to depend on the speed of recording/steeping of parent.
>

> > 1.  How to record all the status of a inferiorï For the linux,
> > checkpoint already use fork to record the inferior.  So prec will use
> > it too.
> > And when we want get the old status of inferior step by step, we can
> > let the forked process step by step.
>
> If you need single-step the forked inferior, you will still need to
> wait for the slow single-step execution, and the advantage of letting
> the inferior run freely is lost, right?

Yes, the first time reverse will be slow(Maybe sim exec will be more
fast).  But I think it will be better than forward exec slow.  And for
the reverse we can do more work to increase the speed.

Thanks,
Hui