This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
RE: a review and questions on avr_scan_prologue()
- From: "Weddington, Eric" <Eric dot Weddington at atmel dot com>
- To: Petr Hluzín <petr dot hluzin at gmail dot com>, <gdb at sourceware dot org>
- Cc: "Tristan Gingold" <gingold at adacore dot com>, "Joerg Wunsch" <joerg_wunsch at uriah dot heep dot sax dot de>
- Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 22:12:43 -0700
- Subject: RE: a review and questions on avr_scan_prologue()
- References: <email@example.com>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Petr Hluzín [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
> Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2010 5:27 AM
> To: email@example.com
> Cc: Tristan Gingold
> Subject: a review and questions on avr_scan_prologue()
> I took a look at avr-tdep.c  and I found some places which are
> either bug or are not clear to me.
Could you please at least fill out bug reports for these 2 issues? Please put me on the CC list. That way they're recorded.
> The avr_scan_prologue()'s recognizes several well-known prologues. Is
> there a reason why it does not use the general prologue analysis
> algorithm as described in the documentation ?
IIRC, the AVR GCC prologue and epilogue used to be some fixed code. Recently the AVR GCC port generates RTL-based prologues and epiloges. I'm sure AVR GDB has not kept up.
> I think universal prologue analysis is quite easy with AVR arch. The
> code might be shorter (though less clear).
> I might try to write the code if you are interested.
> (The current prologue scan code chokes on hand-crafted assembly.)
Yes, we would be very interested.