Installing python for gdb

Hi,

I'm on RHEL4 with python 2.3.something, which is not one of the
version numbers that gdb / configure will accept.  When I configure
with --with-python, it tells me:

checking whether to use python... yes
checking for python2.6... no
checking for python2.5... no
checking for python2.4... no
configure: error: python is missing or unusable

Unfortunately I can't find an rpm for RHEL4 contining a newer python, so I've attempted to build and install python2.6 from sources.

Make install seems to work, but since there's already a
/usr/local/bin/python, it installs itself as /usr/local/bin/python2.6,
and similarly numbers its libraries.  Gdb's configure script
doesn't find it.

I've tried renaming /usr/local/bin/python2.6 to python,
in which case it runs fine from the bash shell, but for
reasons mystical to me the configure script still can't
seem to find it.

Help?

thanks,
Michael