Re: time to be serious about dropping CVS

Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com> writes:

> My observations on SVN is that it is a huge I/O hog. I don't know
> what it's doing, and how it encodes it's meta data, but you definitely
> feel it when your home directory is not on a local hard drive.

SVN spreads out its meta data in every tracked directory (like CVS), and
when you do an update it has to update files in every such directory.
Most modern VCS keep the meta data in a single directory.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@redhat.com
GPG Key fingerprint = D4E8 DBE3 3813 BB5D FA84  5EC7 45C6 250E 6F00 984E