libiberty

My apologies if this question has been answered before, but doing a
Google I couldn't find an answer...

I'm building gdb for MinGW and I was wondering if gdb needs to use
it's own libiberty?  If not, is it possible to link against the
libiberty included as part of binutils?  How would I go about doing so
assuming it is possible?

Thank you,

Chris

--