Re: GDB library to insert and delete watchpoints

Hi,

Thank you for all of your replies and suggestions.

Yah, Im assuming a simple case for now of only debugging a single
thread/process. Also, its actually a little different since Im not
trying to have a separate debugging thread to do this job. I have a
single threaded application that I want to be safe from buffer
overruns all the time, that doesnt have more than 4 levels of nested
loops, so 4 debug register should do just good for this. And Im trying
to do it automatically by instrumenting GCC to add a call (before
array accesses) to a custom library function that inserts a
watchpoint. I wanted to write a C library that manages mirror
registers and occasionally makes a system call/invokes a driver to put
the value in the debug register.

I have never used ptrace before and need to lookup on it, but the code
that I saw was for a parent process modifying the contents of debug
registers for the child. So im assuming I can either call ptrace from
the same process to modify the contents or have to write a driver to
manipulate debug registers.

Thanks,
Aravinda