Re: System call support in reversible debugging

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 4:34 AM, Michael Snyder <msnyder@vmware.com> wrote:
> Not a black box -- but not a detailed implementation either.
> Each system call has a specification -- that's all we need to
> understand. ?The specification tells what user-visible external
> side effects can be expected (eg. this buffer will be filled).
> Changes that are internal to the kernel do not concern us.

Thanks. I understand your concern. Does Linux kernel provide such an
official specification? If so, could you throw me a hint on where to
get it? Since we have all of the side effects, recording the system
calls are feasible and trustable.

> Sean, this stuff is already implemented and working.
> Why don't you have a look at the existing code in
> linux-record.c? ?It sounds like you're more than qualified
> to understand it. ?If you find something that's not working
> correctly, please let us know! ?;-)

I am reading the source and the archive of the mailing list. Do you
have other systematic documents on this technique? Life becomes better
with your help. Thanks. :)

--
Best Regards,
Sean Chen