Re: [RFC] syntax change for "record save"

> This proposal follows from Teawater's thread
> "A question about gdb script", in which Teawater
> wants to know how to use a gdb local variable
> to append a sequence number to the file name
> of a record log file.

This is not an objection, but I am really not fond of that extension.
It feels ad hoc that the extension, if provided, should be evaluated
as an integer. What if the user wanted a more general scheme? Or what
if he wanted to the suffix to be in hex?

If I were Teawater, I'd probably look at writing a python script
rather than a GDB script.  In particular, it's easy to compose the
right CLI command from python using:

    (gdb) python gdb.execute("rec save file.%d" % 1)

You can replace the "1" above by an python variable, including
one obtained by evaluating an expression as a long.

One thing that you might want to look at, to make things even easier,
is providing a Python interface to the record layer...  Combine that
with the work done on getting inferior "events" (I can't remember
exactly the name of that project - I think it was a GSOC), and it
should be possible to script really nice things...

--
Joel