Re: GDB interactions with GCC

> That is an simplified answer based on my limited knowledge of the subject.

Thanks, it's a start.

I am first gathering information and these seem to be like huge newbie
questions, for which I apologize. Can someone explain how GDB does to
remember what arguments were used in a backtrace ? Is it necessary
that they all reside on the stack or does GDB copy them somewhere for
later use, it the case of architectures that do not need to pass the
arguments on the stack?

Technically, on my architecture, if we had:

int bar (int a)
{
    return a;
}

int foo (int a, int b)
{
   return a + b;
}

the compiler would generate for foo something like:

add FirstInputRegister, FirstInputRegister, SecondInputRegister
call bar

Therefore, if I put a breakpoint at bar, if I look at
FirstInputRegister, I would have a+b but if I backtraced to foo, how
would GDB remember the values of a and b.

In this case, must GCC generate something like this instead :

store FirstInputRegister, 0(stack_pointer)
store SecondInputRegister, 8(stack_pointer)  #8 is just an offset,
let's suppose int is 8 bytes...
add FirstInputRegister, FirstInputRegister, SecondInputRegister
call bar

so that the arguments reside on the stack so that GDB can get them at
a later date ?

If so, doesn't that mean that if we want GDB on an architecture that
does not require any stack copies, we still have to generate those
uselessly (except for GDB ;-)) ?

Thanks again,
Jc