Re: xz for the new release tip

On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 08:27:12 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> it's the internal compression being used in rpm on
> modern Linux distros (Fedora, openSUSE), etc.

I did not think about it to be so fresh, I already got used to it as is it
being pushed for the rpm packaging in Fedora.

> Whether it's stable enough and has a longer term perspective is a
> different question

The file format of current xz-4.999.9beta is already guaranteed to be the one
used in final expectde xz-5.0, specified at:
	http://tukaani.org/xz/format.html

> or will prove to be a yet another temporary anecdote in compression tools is
> hard to tell - doubts are justified, IMHO.

`lzma' is decompressed by `xz' the same way `compress' is decompressed by
`gzip'.  `lzma' was AFAIK already used as the internal format of SuSE rpm so
it already became a format requiring backward compatibility.

I see the xz proposal did not find enough acceptance by GDB maintainers, OK, np.

Regards,
Jan