Redirection from fd 7 in configure

What is the purpose of the following line in the GDB configure files?

   exec 7<&0 </dev/null 6>&1

I understand what it does, but why would the configure script want to
do that, and what could go wrong if I modify it (within
gdb/config/djgpp/djconfig.sh) to say what we had with previous
Autotools, namely

  exec 6>&1

I'm asking because the DJGPP port of Bash 2.04 doesn't like the new
form, so I'd like to know if it's safe to use the previous version.

TIA