Re: gdb cvs vs x86_64-apple-darwin10

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 03:33:08PM +0200, Tristan Gingold wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2009, at 3:22 PM, Jack Howarth wrote:
>> Tristan,
>>   Getting x86_64-apple-darwin10 working should be a higher priority
>> for gdb 7.0 since it sounds like after the VTA branch merge into gcc
>> 4.5, we will need to have access to gdb 7.0 to debug code generated
>> with gcc 4.5 on darwin.
>
> Hi,
>
> can you clarify your issue: is it Snow Leopard vs Leopard (as I thought
> first)
> or is it fsf-gdb vs Apple gdb ?
>
> I might be wrong but VTA concerns only optimized code, so we will be
> able to debug code generated
> without optimizations.
>
> Tristan.

Tristan,
   If you follow the thread starting at...

you will see other platforms like AIX are concerned as well.
The best answer I have read so far...

...suggests that FSF gcc will 'try' to maintain compatibility
in the generated debug code but may not go out of their way
to keep hacks to work around bugs in the older version of
gdb.
                Jack