Build gdb without installing termcap?

This is something I've run up against before...

Often when I try to build gdb on a new host, it fails because configure
can't find libtermcap (which I guess it wants both for TUI and
readline).  I usually end up building and installing libtermcap from
sources, as root, into the system directory, but if it's someone else's
machine I'd rather not do that.

Is there some configure option that I can use to make it find a local
build or install of libtermcap?