Re: errors in GDB reading symbols

On 04 Aug 2009, at 16:33, Tom Tromey wrote:

I think the Free Pascal folks already know about this problem:

http://www.mail-archive.com/fpc-devel@lists.freepascal.org/msg13661.html

Yes, I also forwarded Daniel's original message to the Free Pascal core list. I'm a member of the Free Pascal core development team, but not in the camp that favours writing a complete alternative debugger (although I really would appreciate it if someone could integrate the GDB patches I submit, because even after pinging twice http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2009-06/msg00273.html still appears to be in limbo).

I'm quite sure that in the end some people will write a new Object Pascal debugger from scratch anyway, at least for Windows (where GDB reportedly doesn't always work that well), but I'm not interested in maintaining a Mac OS X port of that and I will continue working on/ with GDB (if only because Apple changes internal low level details way too often for me to play catch up all the time, and because projects regularly mix different languages on that platform). The libgdb.a problem is also irrelevant to FPC's Mac OS X port, because the text mode IDE that uses it is not supported on that platform.

Jonas