Re: Debugging gdb under gdb

Michael Snyder wrote:
Michael Eager wrote:
Hi --

When I try to run a test gdb under gdb, the host gdb hangs.

The hang occurs when the test gdb is executing pex_unix_exec_child().
As soon as the test gdb executes fork(), the host gdb hangs.
I've tried all of the permutations of follow-fork-mode
and detach-on-fork, with no luck.  The host neither follows
the parent nor the child processes.

The host gdb is "GNU gdb Fedora (6.8-32.fc10)".

Suggestions?

Are you stepping or continuing when this occurs?

There is a point, somewhere around where gdb is forking the child,
where stepping always hangs for me.  I don't remember exactly where.
I work around it by setting a breakpoint somewhere just after, and
continuing.

I've tried both stepping and continuing. I set breakpoints in the code shared between parent & child (where it checks the pid) and also on both paths. None of the breakpoints are hit.

The host gdb also hangs when there are no breakpoints set and
I just run the test gdb.

It's been a while since I've done this... but see if that helps.

The call to pex_unix_exec_child() is in find_charset_names(). My workaround is to have the host gdb force a return from find_charset_names() in the test gdb, so it never tries to do a fork().

--
Michael Eager	 eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077