Removing -Wunused warnings

Hi,

I thought I'd see if I can remove at least some of the 'unused
variable' warnings generated when compiling with -Wunused.  I haven't
committed any code before and I figure that's a good way to figure out
the build system and code layout.

I've had a read of the CONTRIBUTING page, but if someone could ping me
as to whether it's better to submit one patch or a series of them and
anything else I'm likely to get wrong I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Phil