About kernel symbols and gdb

Hi,

I have the linux 2.6.25 kernel built with symbols (CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y
in the .config file). I booted into this kernel. Using "$gdb vmklinux"
remotely, I set a breakpoint at the kernel function sys_open. Although
this breakpoint is hit, when I try see the backtrace, I dont see
anything.

In fact, when I try to see the values of the parameters to sys_open
(filename, mode, etc.), I get an error saying that these symbols
couldn't be found. When I try to do "next", I get an error about no
line number information.

What am I missing? Is there any other flag for building the kernel
with line number information? Or do I have to use gdb differently?

Thanks in advance.