Remote core file debugging

Is gdbserver supposed to support remote post-mortem debugging using a
core file on a remote machine?

I have a situation where producing a backtrace from a dead program's
core file by running GDB on the machine where the application crashed
is impractical.  This is because the program has huge amounts of debug
info, so starting GDB eats up all memory, which is a no-no, since the
application which restarted itself after a crash must be up at all
times, and eating up too much memory causes the OS to kill
applications.  So I'm looking for ways of producing the equivalent of
"bt full", but without firing up GDB on the target system (a Red Hat
box).

If gdbserver does not support this, what alternatives do I have?

TIA