Re: Towards better x86 system debugging support

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 10:36:07AM +0100, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>  o Roughly, what code changes are required to exchange some i386.xml or
>    x86-64.xml?

- Verification of the supplied registers in gdbarch init.
- Changes to hardcoded register numbers to always access pseudo
registers relative to gdbarch_num_regs, which will no longer be
constant.

If you agree with Mark that we should add the MSRs as a separate
address space rather than into the register cache it's a bit
trickier.  I have relevant patches somewhere...

>  o If gdb accepted such a static XML description from some x86 target,
>    would it already stick with the register layout even when setting the
>    arch manually (or later automatically)?

I don't remember whether set arch overrides just the arch, or the
entire target description.  But probably the former.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery