This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: "coding: utf-8" emacs local variable in ChangeLog (?)
- From: ludo at gnu dot org (Ludovic Courtès)
- To: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- Cc: gdb at sourceware dot org
- Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 13:34:18 +0100
- Subject: Re: "coding: utf-8" emacs local variable in ChangeLog (?)
- References: <20090103061325.GB31571@adacore.com>
Joel Brobecker <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> Is that change OK? If yes, an update of gdbint.texi is in order.
FWIW, my name in the Git commit is misspelled.
Mark Kettenis <email@example.com> writes:
> Well, I disagree. I think it was a mistake. UTF-8 support is not
> universally available. I can see why Ludovic wants to have his name
> spelled properly, but he should realize it'll look like "Ludovic
> Court?\203?is" to many people.
Actually I think it would just look weird to relatively few people (most
GNU/Linux distros come with UTF-8 terminals by default, for instance)
but would look OK to others. Transliteration ought to be avoided as
much as possible IMO.