Re: GDB for multiple targets

Michael Snyder wrote:
> Marc Khouzam wrote:
> > From what I understand, to debug a Dicos target, I need 'set osabi
> > DICOS'
> >
> > I'm trying to find out how difficult it would be (if at all possible),
> > for GDB to, instead, automatically
> > detect the target after a 'target remote' command.
> >
> > The reason for this is to have the DSF-GDB frontend simply be able to
> > connect to a target, without
> > requiring the user to specify which type.
> >
> > Is it possible?
>
> We could set up a query as part of the initial "target remote"
> handshake.  It would be nice to have a standard agreed-upon before
> implementation.

Hmm, GDB already detects the target automatically, using the
"target description" mechanism.  However, this currently sets
only the architecture, not the osabi, and in the particular
case described above, both host and target *architectures* are
the same, but just the osabi differs ...

I think it would make sense to have the target description
provide the proper osabi setting as well (maybe using the
existing "properties" mechanism), and have GDB default to
the osabi in the target description.

Bye,
Ulrich

--
  Dr. Ulrich Weigand
  GNU Toolchain for Linux on System z and Cell BE