gdb skipping lines and halting in static library functions

Hello,

I am in need of some help determining why gdb is failing to debug any program
that uses the C-ISAM library.  This problem only appears to be happening with
this library.  I copied libisam.a and isam.h from another server that is not
having any problems with gdb and/or C-ISAM to rule out any corruption.  I was
using the gdb that came with RHEL 3.  I upgraded to 6.8 to see if that would
solve the problem as well.

I noticed this problem started sometime after I started using the -ggdb3 flag,
but I am unsure if that is a causal factor.  Other developers continue to use
this flag and compile against the C-ISAM library (-lisam) without any negative
consequences.

Has anyone seen something like this before?  In my searching on google and
this mailing list I have not found anything similar.  Any help on this issue
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Herman

*** EXAMPLE 1 - skipping over a chunk of lines

hermanr@advlnx10 ~/jail/gdbtest !! cat test.c
#include <isam.h>

int main()
{
    struct keydesc key;

    key.k_flags = ISNODUPS;
    key.k_nparts = 1;
    key.k_part[0].kp_start = 0;
    key.k_part[0].kp_leng  = 8;
    key.k_part[0].kp_type  = CHARTYPE;

    isbuild( "test", 128, &key, ISOUTPUT+ISEXCLLOCK );

    return 0;
}

hermanr@advlnx10 ~/jail/gdbtest !! gcc -g test.c -I/usr/include -lisam -o test
hermanr@advlnx10 ~/jail/gdbtest !! gdb test
GNU gdb 6.8
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...

(gdb) b main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x804a4ac: file test.c, line 7.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /home/hermanr/jail/gdbtest/test

Breakpoint 1, main () at test.c:7
7           key.k_flags = ISNODUPS;
(gdb) n
15          return 0;
(gdb)
16      }
(gdb)
0x006f279a in __libc_start_main () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
(gdb)
Single stepping until exit from function __libc_start_main,
which has no line number information.

Program exited normally.
(gdb) quit

*** EXAMPLE 2 - stopping in the middle of the libisam function iswrite()

hermanr@advlnx10 ~/jail/gdbtest !! cat test.c
#include <isam.h>

#define RECORD_LEN 128
#define ISAM_FILENAME "test"

int main()
{
    int fd;
    struct keydesc key;
    char record[RECORD_LEN];

    key.k_flags = ISNODUPS;
    key.k_nparts = 1;
    key.k_part[0].kp_start = 0;
    key.k_part[0].kp_leng  = 8;
    key.k_part[0].kp_type  = CHARTYPE;

    fd = isbuild( ISAM_FILENAME, RECORD_LEN, &key, ISOUTPUT+ISEXCLLOCK );

    if( fd < 0 ) {
        printf( "Failed to create ISAM file.  iserrno: %ld\n", iserrno );
        return 1;
    }

    strcpy( record, "This is a test record" );

    if( iswrite( fd, record ) != 0 ) {
        printf( "Failed to open ISAM file.  iserrno: %ld\n", iserrno );
    }

    if( isclose( fd ) != 0 ) {
        printf( "Failed to close ISAM file.  iserrno: %ld\n", iserrno );
        return 1;
    }

    if( iserase( ISAM_FILENAME ) != 0 ) {
        printf( "Failed to erase ISAM file.  iserrno: %ld", iserrno );
    }

    return 0;
}

hermanr@advlnx10 ~/jail/gdbtest !! gcc -g test.c -I/usr/include -lisam -o test
hermanr@advlnx10 ~/jail/gdbtest !! gdb test
GNU gdb 6.8
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...
(gdb) b main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x804a4af: file test.c, line 13.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /home/hermanr/jail/gdbtest/test

Breakpoint 1, main () at test.c:13
13          key.k_flags = ISNODUPS;
(gdb) n
26          strcpy( record, "This is a test record" );
(gdb)
28          if( iswrite( fd, record ) != 0 ) {
(gdb)
0x0804dbcf in iswrite ()
(gdb)
Single stepping until exit from function iswrite,
which has no line number information.

Advent Resources, Inc. - celebrating our 20th Anniversary 1988-2008

believed to be clean.